Mittwoch, 5. September 2012

INTERVIEW / bartosz melewicz



Bartosz Melewicz is an amazing new talent from Poland. He combines graphical cuts and prints with a classic casual style. He is a graduate of The International School of Costume and Fashion Design in Warsow. His work were published in magazines like ELLE, K Mag and Vanity Teen and he was one of five polish designers who are invited by the Berlin Fahion Week this year. I think he could be one of the next big stars in the fashion scene. This week i had the pleasure that Bartosz gave me answers about a few questions.


Hi, please tell me a little bit about you and your label. How and when did you first begin making clothing?
Well, It may sound obvious, but since I can remember I’ve always
wanted to do be a designer. When I was a child and somebody asked me who I wanted to be in the future I had one answer “ I want to be a designer”. And so I decided to be a designer after graduating from high school. All I did was just transferring  to the paper what I had in my mind.
I’ve never followed fashion trends and before I went to college and started studying fashion itself I had never developed knowledge about fashion. Finally, I graduated from The International School of Costume and Fashion Design in Warsaw, where my graduation collection got first place in students competition for “debut of the year”. And shortly afterwards I started to work on my first collection called A.I (BUT ANIMATE).

Please d
escribe your current collection.

My Autumn/Winter collection is named A.I. (BUT ANIMATE). It was inspired by the world of mannequins, robots and a phenomenon of artificial intelligence. Silhouettes were made, among others, from silk and wool. It was extremely important for me that all of the silhouettes were sewn very carefully and had a modern touch. In the collection, you can find clothes for men and women. Ladies can choose something from numerous dresses, jackets, suits, leggings and custom wedding dresses.


You use a lot of different textures and surfaces. Why? I like challenges. It’s as simple as that. I love being challenged by a fabric! It may sound crazy but it almost always leads to a new and often astonishing solutions.

Do you have your favourite piece? And why?
It’s hard for me to value my work and my designs as I lack the distance. But I am very proud of my last collection.

What kind of person do you imagine wearing your clothing?

Well... definitely self-conscious one, for whom the highest quality, grade of materials and perfect fit are very significant matters.


Do you wear your own clothes?
Unfortunately I am always so absorbed in work I do'tt have time to make clothes for  myself. There is a saying in polish and  I believe the equivalent in English is: the shoemaker’s children are ill-shod. So you know what I mean;)

Do you have an own philosophy?

Yes, I have one. My philosophy could be described by three words: consciousness, development  and the highest quality. I strongly believe, that by raising our consciousness,  we can get rid of all mental barriers. And by using wisely the wealth of imagination and possibilities of human soul we can constantly develop as a human beings .

What does it mean to you, being a designer?

Being a designer allows me to express myself. This is my way of communicating with the world. But most of all it gives me freedom to manifest my ideas!

If you are not doing fashion what will you be doing?

Before I went to The International School of Costume and Fashion Design in Warsaw I considered taking entrance exams to acting school. So maybe an actor? (Hahahaha)
    
Do you have role models or icons? What or who  inspires you?
It is certainly my mom. My favorite period in art, literature, architecture, and film is the period from 1900 to 1940. I am often inspired by the artists of this period, including Salvador Dali.
Nevertheless, I also appreciate the classics, such as Michelangelo and Leonardo DaVinci. When it comes to designers I appreciate Givenchy, Celine, Margiela, Jil Sander, as well as, Japanese designers.

What does it mean to you to live and work in warsow, poland?
This is a very interesting and exciting place to work, due to the rapid development of the fashion industry and the city itself. I admire Warsaw for its painful history and the ever-creative people living here. This affects me very creatively. The atmosphere here is very diverse, it is a world full of opposites, which would not have opportunities to exist elsewhere. That is why, Warsaw is fascinating and surprising in a positive way.

What is your goal for the future? Currently I work on my new collection. And I want do develop my brand and my craftsmanship ;)

































© Bartosz Melewicz

Interview: Stephanie Passul

1 Kommentar:

Bitte hinterlasse nur dann einen Kommentar, wenn du auch wirklich etwas zu dem Post zu sagen hast. Spamkommentare werden nicht veröffentlicht. Danke.