Freitag, 18. Januar 2013

INTERVIEW / yirantian guo



The world need new talents! The the following big talent comes directly from school: Yirantian Guo is a graduate from the London College of Fashion, where she currently works on her master studies. Fashion and art collide in her work. Yirantian, who comes originally from China, combines influences from western and eastern culture in her work.

Her graduate collection ÔUN-Õ is inspired by cubism. Yirantian uses elements like deconstruction and abstraction and works with reflective surfaces, distorted proportions and equips the models with different masks. Yirantian seems to regard the body as a playing field for her experiments in fashion: he is retainer and base at the same moment and breath life into her sophisticated clothes. Yirantian´s clothes look strange on the first glance. On the second glance you recognize the hidden beauty and the strong and interesting concept behind her work. A clear association to the art world become clear if you have a look on her fantastic look book photography: she creates own pictorial worlds for her collection, which moves on the border between  reality and illusion. The photos work also like the collection, with doubling, abstraction and manipulation. They are beautiful and sombre at the same time. Have a look on her full portfolio here.




Hi, please tell me a little bit about you and your work
I am Yirantian Guo, a girl come from China. I am a womenswear designer who just graduated from London College of Fashion in 2012, now i am a postgraduate student in lcd as well. I was inspired by everything through life. For instance, I always get inspirations from artworks, such as paintings, sculptures, architectures and human body as well. When I start my collection, I usually create my own research source by myself in the very first stage, such as take photograph and make some matrix that related to the concept that I chose already. That helps me understand the topic more quickly and find my own way to demonstrate the theme.

Is there a particular concept behind your work?
The concept of ÔUN-Õ is to combine every possible unconventional element that presents the reality and illusion. It was taken from an unusual viewpoint of fashion in terms of garments and accessories. ÔUN-Õ collection focuses on the combination of the technique and material. Inspired by cubism, breaking-up the original object and recombining to shape a new form is the starting point and then developing through the reflection accessories, deconstruction and asymmetric silhouette to achieve the concept. In brief, ÔUN-Õ collection is creating a new channel to demonstrate fashion.



How do you start a collection. What ìs your inspiration?
Honestly London is a really nice place not only for studying but also to live in. I was inspired by everything through life. For instance, I always get inspirations from artworks, such as paintings, sculptures, architectures and human body as well. When I start my collection, I usually create my own research source by myself in the very first stage, such as take photograph and make some matrix that related to the concept that I chose already. That helps me understand the topic more quickly and find my own way to demonstrate the theme.




What kind of person do you imagine wearing your clothing?
A charming and independent women.

Do you wear your own clothes then?
Yes, but not the exactly the same style.



How important are the following terms in your work: form, colour and composition?There are several key words to describe my design style that is deconstruction, abstract and modernism. When I do a project/collection, the first thing in my head is how to relate my ideas and designs to the real fabric in order to display nicely when people wearing that. As for each project I start with the silhouette and the shapes. However, these elements will always come together when I start designing and they canÕt go separately.

How and when did you first begin making clothing?
when i was very young i used to make clothing for my barbie doll.




You are from China, but you are trained in London.
Do think your style is influenced by both cultures?

Yes, also i think London is mix-culture city and it is important that young
designer to get inspired by what people's wear in the street, both Chinese and Londoner.

Where would we find you when you’re not at work?
Everywhere around the world, travel with my lover.

If you are not doing fashion what will you be doing?

Doing nothing but enjoy life.




© Yirantian Guo

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Bitte hinterlasse nur dann einen Kommentar, wenn du auch wirklich etwas zu dem Post zu sagen hast. Spamkommentare werden nicht veröffentlicht. Danke.